We’re excited to share with our stakeholders, how to work with us to create a public mural through the City’s Citywide Mural Program. Visit the Department of Cultural Affairs website https://culturela.org/murals for the mural registration application and for a robust Frequently Asked Questions section that can answer many of the questions for your Neighborhood Council.
There are a couple of key points to be mindful of with murals. Early research and preparation is key to a successful mural project.
1. Please contact the Department of Neighborhood Empowerment’s, Semee.Park@lacity.org for guidance if you would like to work on a project involving a mural or providing money for a mural.
2. Money may only be expended toward mural projects when the mural is registered with the Department of Cultural Affairs, including murals located on public or private property. In addition, murals are currently only allowed on residential property in Council Districts, 1, 9, 14, and 15. Arleta Neighborhood is in District 6.
3. If the mural is located on private property, please visit the Department of Cultural Affairs website https://culturela.org/murals for the mural registration application and for a robust Frequently Asked Questions section that can answer many of the questions for your Neighborhood Council.
Murals located on City property must go through a different process, reviewed and approved by the Public Art Committee and Cultural Affairs Commission. For more information, see DCA Public Art Approval
4. The property owner must sign the application certifying permission (notary is required) and accepting maintenance responsibility. A 2-year covenant is filed with the County Recorder’s Office to ensure that the mural remain for a minimum of 2 years. There is a registration fee of $60.00 for mural registration implementation.
5. There is a required neighborhood involvement meeting for each new mural proposal and is a great opportunity to expand your neighborhood’s Outreach. Reach out to your Neighborhood Council to collaborate!
For questions and/or more information, visit https://culturela.org/murals/ and reach out to: Semee.Park@lacity.org