LAPD West Valley Division has experienced a unique form of vehicle and property theft. Radio frequency communication between a victim's key fob and the vehicle's door lock is interrupted, preventing the victim from locking their vehicle without their knowledge.
Here are a few safety tips to avoid being victimized:
- Please be careful to ensure your vehicle's lights and sound go off when locking your vehicle from a distance.
- Be sure to check your car door handle if locking your vehicle immediately upon exiting.
- Should you be concerned a radio frequency device has been used within range of your vehicle, report the incident and do not leave your vehicle unattended.
- Do not leave valuables in plain view inside your vehicle.
- If you store property in the trunk, do it prior to arriving at your destination; for example, do not wait until you arrive at the hiking trail to open your trunk to 'hide' your purse.
Important contact information:
Crime Stoppers: 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477)
https://www.lapdonline.org and click on "Anonymous Web Tips"