The provisions of the new LAMC Section 85.02 became effective on Saturday, January 7, 2017 and shall expire on July 1, 2018, unless extended by ordinance. The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) has indicated enforcement will begin in early February.
Living in a vehicle (vehicle dwelling) is prohibited at all times within one block (500 feet) of licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks.
Persons may live in a vehicle:
- Daytime Hours – between 6:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. – more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks;
- Nighttime Hours – between 9:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. – in non-residentially zoned areas which are more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools or daycare facilities or parks.
- Vehicles must comply with all posted parking restrictions at all times.
- All vehicles driven or parked on a California street, road or highway must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and insured. You may qualify for the California Low-Cost Automobile Insurance Program. Information is available on the Department of Insurance website or by calling 1-866-602-8861.
- Any vehicle that has been parked on a city street or highway for 72 hours or more can be reported as an abandoned vehicle.
- Parking in alleys is illegal at all times.
- Vehicles without an engine, wheels, or some other part necessary for safely driving the vehicle are subject to immediate impounding.
The maps below are provided to assist the public to identify streets where living in a vehicle would be allowed based on the underlying zoning and distancing from licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, and parks.
NOTE: The maps do not contain street-by-street information related to posted parking restrictions. Therefore, it is important for all persons living in their vehicles to verify all surrounding posted parking restrictions before engaging in activities associated with vehicle dwelling.
Information such as location and phone numbers, for your local community police station can be found here.
For assistance with general questions please call 3-1-1 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on vehicle dwelling, please go to: